The most practical way to get about is by car especially if time is limited or you want to reach the more remote areas. If you haven’t brought your own vehicle and need to hire a car there are two main outlets on Islay. Contact:
· Islay Car Hire at 01496 810544 call for prices and arranging collection.
· D&N MacKenzie at 01496 302300 call for prices and arranging collection.
With a bit of planning you can get around the islands by bus though like most rural areas, the service tends to connect only the villages and operates around school times and holidays.
The local bus service on Islay is operated by:
B. Mundell Ltd – enquiries 01496840273 – though you’re better to ask the bus drivers about schedules if in doubt.
Timetables can be found in the area transport leaflet issued by Argyll & Bute Council and can be viewed online at www.argyll.gov.uk
Post-buses also carry passengers on a first come/first served basis. Jura has only one road and one bus service so no getting lost here!
Contact Jura Bus at 01496 820314 which connects with some ferries to Craighouse and further afield on certain services.
Islay is an excellent place to get about by bicycle, whether you bring your own or hire one when you get here. It’s definitely one way to slow down and enjoy the calming effect island life can have on you.
Most of the roads are quiet and flat – we do get the odd windy day but in summertime it’s a delight to get out and enjoy the fresh air. Jura is a little bit more hilly and challenging, especially the further north you go but you certainly won’t meet much traffic up there!
Bike hire on Islay is available at:
· The Post Office, Main Street, Bowmore 01496 810366/262
· Polly Mather, Main Street, Port Charlotte (opposite Port Charlotte Hotel) 01496 850 488
· Jim Lutomski, Clearwater Marine, (behind White Hart Hotel) Port Ellen, 07760 196592
· on Jura, call Michael Varley on 07092 180747
There are a number of taxi and minibuses for hire on Islay. This is a practical option for small groups intending visiting the distilleries and historic sites. Contacts include:
· Stuart Doyle, Port Charlotte on 01496 850170, Mobile: 07771 921157 or at
· Carol MacDonald at 01496 302155 Mobile: 07775782155
· Fiona’s Taxis at 01496 302622 Mobile: 07808303200
· Lamont’s Taxis at 01496 810449 Mobile: 07899756159
· Andrew MacEachern at 01496 850271
· Christine Logan, Lady of the Isles at 01496 810 485 Mobile: 07732 283554
For further information about transport and any other tourist related enquiries contact the Tourist Information Centre, The Square, Bowmore on 01496 810254 or visit the website at www.visitscotland.com