The Singing Sands and Carraig Fhada Lighthouse

singing-sands-220.jpgA beautiful sandy beach reachable from the footpath to Carraig Fhada (the square lighthouse visible at the entrance to Port Ellen ferry terminal) – the lighthouse was erected in 1832 by John Frederick Campbell in memory of Lady Ellinor Campbell.

The lighthouse was taken over by the Northern Lighthouse Board as an unmanned light in 1924 and converted to propane gas operation in 1963.